Wednesday, August 19, 2009

If the Answer is Chocolate – the Question is Irrelevant

Before I moved from California to Oregon, my best friend; 'Mother V' (as my kids call her), and I spent much of our time touring the local eateries. I am sure the entrees were good, but let’s face it, with both of us being serious last course snobs of sweet ambrosia, we weren’t there for the Etouffée. Thus we ventured forward each week in our quest for the best of the best.

Of course we had our frequent flyers. There was Max’s Opera Café in Palo Alto, with their football sized éclairs; Maurice’s Bakery in Campbell, with their brilliant Bee Hive; the hot apple caramel walnut pie ala mode from Baker’s Square in Log Gatos; and of course our moods often coincided towards those ever so succulent nice, thick, juicy…coffee milkshakes from Swenson’s Ice Cream Parlor.

We used most of our frequent flyer miles however, at Dick’s Bakery in San Jose, with their burnt almond cake. You only had two choices of this heavenly design; chocolate or white…at least until the autumn weather settles and then it was pumpkin all the way! Moist and delicious with brown sugar whipped cream frosting and delicately toasted praline almonds; mmm mmm mmm. My taste buds are saluting right this very minute. Mother V and I never get together without a visit to Dicks. As a matter of fact, I can hear that molded mass of sweet bliss calling our name out now, anticipating our next holiday.

It undeniably doesn’t hurt that Mother V is also my binge buddy, which means when it comes to cakes, half for her and half for me.

We do believe there are only three things in life that matter - good friends, good chocolate and’…oh dear, what was that other one? Oh well.

We have our gastronomic likes and dislikes, and for many of them we were on the same page, when it came to chocolate though we didn’t always agree. Mother V liked her chocolate the way she likes her coffee; light, sweet and milky. I on the other hand like mine the way I like men. Rich, dark and dreamy…I mean creamy. The chocolate I mean.

Seriously though, I love all men. It’s chocolate I’m much more particular about. Now I am not one of those women that use chocolate as a substitute for men, but let's face it, chocolate is far more reliable!

I never could understand why so many "so called" chocolate lovers complain about the calories in chocolate, when all true chocoholics know that it is a vegetable. It comes from the cocoa bean, beans are veggies, 'nuff said. And, have you ever noticed that there is no such thing as Chocoholics Anonymous? That’s because none of us want to quit.

For many of us, chocolate is not a matter of life and death - it's much more important than that! I am a serious chocoholic and for the serious chocoholic, chocolate is better than sex. (If you believe that, you REALLY need to meet that special someone who can change your mind). If you HAVE met that special someone and still believe that, I REALLY NEED to know where you get your chocolate!

Actually I know where to get my chocolate fix from. Does it meet my requirements? Absolutely. Rich- exceedingly; Dark- extremely; and smooth with a voice like velvet. I learned to listen to the crystal clear voice of chocolate at the coffee festival in Seattle. I am sure you all feel as I do. Coffee makes it possible to get out of bed, and chocolate makes it all worthwhile.

I digress. There were many Chocolatiers giving away samplings of their company’s wares. The piece given from the final Chocolatier was about the size of a Hershey’s kiss. I didn’t really want it as I had been eating chocolate for days. (Did I just say that? Not want chocolate!) As I was lifting it to my mouth this chap had the bravado to suggest I should not just eat it. Well what else do you do with it? It took everything in me to follow his advice. But follow it I did.

He recommended I take a sip of cold water which he handed to me in a small paper cup. He explained that he wanted my palate clear of all other flavors before trying this miniscule bite. I couldn’t help but think it was a lot of trouble for just one bite. I was then instructed to take this brunette colored bonbon and break it into quarters.

“Surely you jest?” I thought. No. He was quite serious.

“Place just one piece on your tongue. Save the rest for later. Do not chew. Just let it sit there. Listen to the chocolate. Let the chocolate tell you what to do next.”

I did as bid, but looked around for the hidden shutter bugs of Candid Camera. While searching for these non-existent photographers, I became aware of this new sensation coming from the area of my orifice. My tongue now held the control buttons and I was rapt with every command.

“Close your eyes. Feel the texture. How does it feel? Is it grainy or smooth? Savor the flavor. Let it drift past your taste buds into the recesses of your nose; your ears; your brain.”

Forget falling in love - I'd rather fall in chocolate!

As I was leaving this three day binge of coffee and chocolate I found myself inspired, philosophizing “With enough chocolate and coffee, I could rule the world!”

I promise you, the more you ‘listen’ to chocolate; the easier it will be to tell the good from the bad. And you'll never go back. I now go to just about any length for superior chocolate. In fact my family and I make the 173 mile journey from our home in Hillsboro, Oregon to Seattle for that perfect cup of Dilettante hot Chocolate as often as we can.

Research seems pretty mixed up these days as to the health benefits of chocolate. I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process....It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? If it doesn't then, what a way to go. Death by Chocolate! If mother V and I share our chocolate indulgences, then we'll only be in critical condition! Always remember that man can not live on chocolate alone, but women can!

In the mean time, while the experts are doing their research, maybe I’ll volunteer my services and do a few chocolate experiments of my own. Anyone care to help?



The Black Beast – La Bête Noire

1 cup Guinness stout (or other dark beer)
1 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large whole eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
3/4 cup heavy cream
8 ounces good quality dark chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup powdered sugar

Place large glass mixing bowl in freezer.

In a medium sized saucepan, combine Guinness and butter. Over medium heat cook until butter is melted. Whisk in cocoa and mix until smooth. Set aside to cool.

In a separate bowl, cream together beat eggs and sour cream. Add beer mixture and whisk until just combined. Sift in sugar, baking soda, salt. Fold gently until combined. Pour into 2 prepared* 8" inch baking pans. Bake at 350° for about 25-30 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test. Let cool for about 10 minutes before turning out on to cooling rack. Set aside and let cool completely.

In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the cream just to a boil. Remove from heat and immediately add chocolate. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Gently whisk, until smooth. Set aside.

While ganache is cooling, remove glass bowl from freezer. Add remaining cream. Whip until thick but not peak forming or about 4-5 minutes. Add remaining cocoa and powdered sugar. Whip until stiff peaks form or another 2-3 minutes. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.

To Serve: Place 1 cake layer on serving platter. Pour 1/2 cup warm ganache over the top of the 1st layer. Place in refrigerator and let cool for about 30 minutes. When ganache is fairly solid, remove from refrigerator and top with 3/4 of the chocolate whipped cream, spreading evenly over top.

Place second cake layer on top of chocolate cream. Pour remaining ganache over top of cake allowing the ganache to pool on the platter. Top with dollops of the remaining chocolate whipped cream.

*There are two ways to properly prepare cake pans.

1.) Lightly spray the baking pan with cooking spray. Place a piece of parchment paper cut to the shape of the pan on the bottom only. Coat the parchment paper and the sides of the pan with butter.

2.) Coat the bottom and sides of the baking pan with butter. Sprinkle with enough sugar to coat the bottom and sides of the pan. Gently invert pan and tape out any remaining sugar.

Never butter and flour a dessert pan. It leaves a white film, can sometimes taste bitter which sweet should not do and also makes it more difficult to frost. Either of the above eliminates all of those problems.

Chocolate is the greatest gift to women ever created, next to the likes of Paul Newman and Gene Kelly. It's something that should be had on a daily basis. - Sandra Bullock

http://www.savorchocolate.com/chocolate_personality_quiz.aspx

2 comments:

Aleta G. said...

So, for heaven's sake, what's the name of your favorite poison? I know you don't aim to advertise, but I'm chocolate-bereft in Colorado... The best they've got here is Ghiradelli (blech.) I mean, I am sure the Whole Foods has bars of something, but I like to buy bulk (10lbs or more)!

Sole Sister said...

The answer is Dilettante chocolates. Sorry guess I wasn;t as obvious about the traveling 173 miles as I thought. But then again I wasn't always the sharpest knife in the kitchen.