Sunday, August 16, 2009

To Goop or Not to Goop

Three evenings ago a group of 10 delightful women whom I have come to know and love, just absolutely took it upon them selves to abandon my housemates and I in our hour of need. They had the cheek to leave us with troughs of Almond Mousse, Praliné Brest and La Bête Noire. Although they did take home scraps to their spouses, the portions were barely enough to feed a mouse.

Their pretext in this lapse of manners was because they were afraid it would go their hips! What a wretched excuse! I mean after all, was it reasonable enough for my derriere to be labeled ‘caution wide load’ but not theirs? How selfish of them. Hmmpf.

Well…after my indignation wore off and I began licking these fripperies from my fingers which, coincidentally, just happened to slip into the bowl, I realized the combination of the three flavors was an admirable new creation. Hmmm. What would I call this new potion? I like to toss thoughts like that around in my head for a while so I decided to sleep on it. The thoughts not the creation.

The following day had proved to be a long and tiring one, so after eating leftovers of Chicken Almond, Black Swine and Cucumber tea sandwiches I asked my housemates the customary “Did you have enough to eat?” It seems I am always concerned about the state of my friends’ stomachs. They requested a bit of dessert and so I brought out the three containers of saccharine snippets.

When asked to be reminded of their names I responded with “this is Praline Mousse, this one is Chocolate Mousse and this one is…” I was tired and couldn’t for the life of me remember the word almond. “This one is…I don’t know some kind of white goop.”

So here it is Sunday afternoon and I am exploring the contents of the ice box wondering what I should cook for dinner. I no longer wanted quiche since I had a small piece for breakfast. I had melon and Prosciutto for lunch. Let me see. We have leftover chicken, lots of veggies which would make a great pot of Jewish Penicillin, and…goop. Which one do we partake of?

To Goop or not to goop, that is the question? Do we eat the leftovers that are still fit for human consumption, or do we simply smear them on our thighs since that is exactly where they will end up anyway so why go to the trouble of eating them? I can hear the melodious sounds of Nelson Eddy and Jeannette McDonalds song wafting from the three containers. “I am calling you-oo-oo-oo-oo.” But the voice inside of my head is countering with the Supremes “Stop. In the name of love, before they break your butt. Think it oh-oh-ver. Think it oh-oh-ver.”

Well I thought it oh-oh-ver and the recipe for the day is…..

Jewish Penicillin

3-4 pound ready to eat roasted chicken
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 cups onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups carrot, sliced thin
2 cups celery, sliced
2 cups broccoli, chopped
3/4 teaspoon tarragon
1/4 teaspoon thyme
2 cups white wine
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk

It is important to start with a completely roasted chicken. Believe it or not, a cooked chicken is much more flavorful than an uncooked one. Place it in a large stock pot. Add just enough chicken broth to cover it. Put it on low heat, cover and go to the movies, go for a Sunday drive, anything you’d like. Just leave the pot alone for minimum of 4 hours. Don’t even stir it. When the chicken has begin to fall off the bone, you’ll want to remove the chicken, bones and all. Set aside to cool. Continue simmering the broth.

When the chicken is cool enough to handle, separate the chicken from the bones discarding the bones as well as other unwanted parts such as the skin. Return chicken to the pot. Continue simmering.

In a separate skillet, sauté the onions, garlic and mushrooms in the canola oil. Cook them for about 8-10 minutes or until the mushrooms just turn golden. Whisk in the flour. Add to the chicken. Add the remaining veggies, herbs and wine. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so or until veggies are tender.

Add cooked egg noodles just before serving if so desired.




Post Script. To my Sunday morning cohorts; I do hope you know it is all in jest. I love you dearly and have already forgiven you your blunder. Guffaw, guffaw.

No comments: