Friday, August 14, 2009

The Wild Brewed Yonder

Coffee. Is there anything more decadent than that first pot of coffee in the morning? The rich aroma of those darkly roasted kernels of instant energy being deluged for our aphrodisiacal enslavement?

It is certainly my drug of choice. It’s not that I can’t start my day without that first sip, but more that I choose not to. There is something comforting about holding that freshly brewed cup of battery acid in my hands, letting the aroma open my baby blues before that black pungent yet tantalizing liquid passes these withered middle aged lips.

I was raised on coffee milk in the 50’s and 60’s thinking it quite the treat to have a cup ‘o’ Joe with my folks. It of course was more like the new McCafĂ© version of coffee with an exuberance of sugar and milk, but it was a grown up drink therefore I was cool, hip, with it.

My tastes haven’t really changed all that much, in as much as I do enjoy cream and sugar in my coffee. I also enjoy the flavored coffees. Coconut, hazelnut, butternut and every other nut flavor there is. Then we move on to the fruitier blends of chocolate raspberry, cherry cordial and even a blueberry cream.

And how do you know which type of ‘roast’ to buy? I mean this decision isn’t like choosing a cut of meat. With meat you basically have, rib roast, ribeye roast or tenderloin roast, round tip or eye round. Five choices from melt in your mouth tender to a bit tougher but if done right can be superb.

With coffee however you have a dizzying array of types available. Different roasts come with wildly different tastes and nuances. There is light roast, medium roast and dark roast. Then we have American roast, French roast, Vienna roast, European roast, Turkish Roast, Italian roast; and the list goes on to assure you that you have a world of coffee in every cup. Next decision is do you want these caf, decaf or extra caf.

STOP! I just want a cup of coffee. I do have to say however as I start my second pot in 90 minutes, nobody’s…not even the jolly green giant’s can compare to an authentic Italian cappuccino, in which milk is brought to a dense-textured, soupy froth and then poured into a single serving of espresso. Aaahhh.

I am an avid participant in the Coffee Fest held in Seattle each autumn. There in the confines of the Seattle Convention Center you will find not just a handful but more than 100 of the country’s top coffee roasters. I have learned by experience that when I go (last year was the first year I have missed in 6 years) bring a rolling suitcase with you.

The powers that be hand you this little grocery sized bag as you walk through the door and your first thought is “Oh goodie. I get to go home with a lot of useless information.” NOT! You not only don’t go home with a lot of useless information but you do go home with pounds of free coffee. Yes that’s right, I said pounds! From Caffe D'Arte to Zoka Coffee Roaster & Tea Co., you will go home with a suitcase of free half pound to full pound samplers.

Now…although this may have sounded like a plug for Coffee Fest, it’s truly a plug for a coffee addicts blissful long weekend coffee spot. I mean what could be better than to spend 72 glorious hours drinking that marvelous legally addictive stimulant. This is where I discovered that divine Italian Cappuccino.

Now that we have tasted (even if only by osmosis) from all of those fabulous around the world roasters, and decided which coffee will gratify our morning fix, we must then decide do we want cream, sugar, or one of those delightfully flavored cream substitutes that contain no God made ingredients except sugar.

I mean have you read the labels of any of these enticing concoctions? Water; sugar; partially hydrogenated soybean and/or cottonseed oil and less than 2% of sodium caseinate.

Then of course we can not forget about those delightful ingredients that make you glow in the dark; dipotassium phosphate; disodium phosphate; mono and diglyceride, cellulose gel and cellulose gum (as if I haven’t got enough of those wrinkly little unwanted dimples in my thighs already), color added, natural and artifical flavors and last but definitely not least carrageenan.

Okay, think I will take Hal's advice and switch to something natural like milk.

OREGON FILBERT CAKE

2 1/3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup butter
3 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup strongly brewed coffee
1/2 cup filberts (hazelnuts)

In a large mixing bowl, sift together the first 4 ingredients. Set aside.

In a separate medium sized bowl, cream together, sugar, butter, and vanilla, until thoroughly combined. Beat in egg yolks and blend until light and fluffy or for about 2-3 minutes more. Pour into lightly buttered & sugared 9 X 13” rectangular pan.

Bake at 350° for 30—35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Top with freshly whipped cinnamon laced cream

1 comment:

mtajudy said...

Very nice!! Informative, well written and entertaining. Kudos to "the chef".